Saturday, April 05, 2008

Dear faithful blog readers,
once again I have been absent for quite a while - I apologize for that! My time schedule kept me rather busy the last couple of months, but I hope it will get better towards the summer. After my presentation of the literature study research I have been doing these past two months (about nano- and microsatellites) and the rocket launch we in DARE are preparing for the coming Thursday, my time should hopefully be more available for blogging.
This evening I just wanted to make short post regarding some thoughts I made after seeing the movie "Rendition" with Jake Gyllenhaal, Reese Witherspoon and Meryl Streep. It is absolutely worthwhile watching, but you should also see the extra material on the dvd. It is a movie about the real life rendition that is taking place in our world, and it is a documentary published by http://www.witness.org/. Basically, it is a law passed in the US after 9/11 that they are allowed to take alleged terrorist suspects to any other country and detain them there for as long as necessary to get the "truth" out of them. It is quite "eye-opening" to see this documentary, and also the movie - which is why I chose to recommend it here on my blog.
Another very good movie to see is the "Catch a fire" starring Tim Robbins and Derek Luke. It takes place in South-Africa during the Apartheid regime, and concerns a family man who gets unvoluntary drawn into the situation by the US government accusing him of terrorist actions. After these accusations his life changes and we follow his struggle to determine what his next move should be - should he join the anti-apartheid forces or not...
Well, these were two of many movies worthwhile to see if you are tired of just seing brainless action or humor movies, and you want to evolve the way you see and think about the world. I, at least, always appreciate movies which make me think instead of just being entertained.

3 comments:

MaRuKo said...

Ahá... finally some activity in your blog... and glad to hear that finally you’ll have some more free time... :P :P That movie "Rendition" seems quite interesting. Where have you seen it? And is the movie "Catch a fire" the one we saw at your place?

Well, all the best for you and good luck with your thesis and rocket club… oh, and thank you very much for the Norwegian dinner. It was really "yummy"… ;)

Hug…

Christina said...

Hehe, glad to hear that the Norwegian food was good, that was my goal:)
Yes, Catch a fire was the movie we saw at my place, and Rendition I just bought, so you can borrow it after Maria & Bruno are done with it.
Big hugs back!

Anonymous said...

Hei vennen!

Savner deg! Hvordan går det om dagen? Skjønner at det blir mye jobbing, godt å høre at du fremdeles har tid til å gjøre tingene du er glad i:-) Her i Oslo har det såvidt begynt å vise seg små vårtegn og i dag kom temperaturen opp i 10 grader på verandaen (sitter hjemme og leser til eksamen og er dermed svært fascinert av blant annet temperaturen på verandaen). Skal bli godt med sommer, med deg og Kristin vel hjemme i Oslo, og skolegangen overstått.

Du får ha en fortsatt fin uke i Nederland, så snakkes vi!

Klem fra Silje